It’s summertime again my friends. That time of year where the weather is nice, the days are long, and the watermelon is freshhhh.
I’m going to give you the Top 5 reasons you should be eating watermelon during our summer solstice. So, go grab your car keys and get ready to head to the yocal grocery store to pick up your melon after reading these 5 REASONS YOU SHOULD EAT WATERMELON.
- Hydration: This is not a joke. It is no mystery that our body’s need water, in fact, our friend the watermelon is made up of about 92% water. Watermelon = hydration…tell your friends.
- LOW CALORIE: Also not a joke, cut the shit. Watermelon is only 46 calories per cup! To put this into perspective 1 banana is about 115 calories. That means you could be 2 and a half cups into your watermelon while your friend finishes their banana and is looking at you to share your watermelon…no chance..get your own watermelon.
- May help relieve muscle soreness: That’s right, you read that right as you’re sipping on your protein shake mixed with shit that the guy at GNC told you is necessary for you to recover..wrong. Watermelon contains CITRULLINE, an amino acid that has been linked to reduce your muscle soreness. Researchers performed a study that gave athletes: watermelon juice, watermelon juice mixed with citrulline, and a drink mixed with citrulline. They concluded that both watermelon drinks led to LESS muscle soreness and quicker heart rate recovery! Take that GNC.
- Skin and Hair gainz: Two vitamins in watermelon, A & C, are important for skin and hair health. Vitamin C helps your body create collagen, a protein that keeps your skin supple like that baby’s bottom and your hair flowing like Brad Pitt in Troy. Vitamin A is amazing for your skin. It helps to heal and create skin cells, which is important for fighting off dry skin, and nasty sun burns.
- Improves Digestion: As stated above, watermelon is packed with water, but it also contains a small amount of fiber, both aid healthy digestion. Fiber provides bulk to your stool (poop, yep I said it), and water allows your digestive track to perform more efficiently. Eating fruits and vegetables that contain both water and fiber will help to promote normal bowel movements.
HOW TO PICK A GOOD WATERMELON:
- Make sure the watermelon is heavy
- Tap on the watermelon, it should make a hollow sound
- Look for a large yellow spot on the watermelon
And there you have it, THE TOP 5 REASONS YOU SHOULD EAT WATERMELON, go enjoy dat shit :)
Athlete Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23862566
Watermelon and sunburn protection: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21953695
Watermelon nutritional guide: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2072/2
Watermelon & lycopene study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4464475/